Head of Lower School
School: The Lovett School
Available Position: Non-teaching Staff
Requisition Number: HEADO001447
Reports to: Associate Head of School
Direct Reports: Assistant Head of Lower School, Directors of Teaching and Learning K-2 and 3-5, Lower School Office Manager
All interested individuals are encouraged to submit their resumes via https://www.thefinneysearchgroup.com/lovett-hls-application
Deadline for receipt of full application materials is January 10, 2024.
The Head of Lower School activates Lovett’s mission, core values, and promise of a whole child education for the division's students, faculty, staff, and families. Leading an experienced group of teachers committed to centering the experience of students, the Head of Lower School capitalizes on the unique developmental milestones of the early years to anchor foundational skill building that affords deep exploration, the joy of discovery, and the habit of curiosity.
Lovett’s Commitment to the Whole Child
The Lovett School’s Core Values and Mission
The Lovett School Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Lovett
Qualifications and Skills:
• Champion of educational innovation through integration of a constructivist approach to teaching and learning
• Proven record of successful, transformative leadership, team development, and effective communication and passion for the education of lower school students
• Change leader with experience collaborating across a broad range of constituencies to inspire diverse groups of individuals toward a common goal.
• An authentic, transparent, and approachable written and oral communicator who listens to deeply understand and speaks with care, timeliness, optimism, and clarity.
• Knowledge of curriculum, assessment, workshop approach, and differentiated instruction
• Superb social and emotional skills with the desire and ability to forge productive relationships.
• Deep understanding of the way unconscious bias impacts the workplace.
• Commitment to developing one’s own cultural self-awareness, cultural competence, and emotional intelligence
• Models vulnerability, curiosity, integrity, perspective-taking, and professional growth.
• Research-based understanding of the challenges of growing up as a digital native in a post-pandemic world including the pressures of substance abuse, social media and technology use, and social-emotional wellness and for parenting children in this ecosystem.
• Knowledgeable regarding educational uses of technology; technologically literate regarding communication and database systems, as well as social media.
• Broad experience and developed skills in fiscal management and planning.
• A graduate degree, a track record of impactful teaching in the lower years, and a minimum of 5 years of experience in educational and instructional leadership. Independent School experience preferred.
• Proactively build culture around Lovett’s mission, values, and strategic plan.
• Serves as the educational leader of the Lower School, modeling passion and enthusiasm for educating lower school-aged children, and motivating the Lower School community to embody Lovett’s values.
• Carries out the vision to create a culture of belonging and dignity for all individuals in the community.
• Inspire and develop effective teams, cascading this practice to the most local levels, growing leadership capacity in each.
• Foster a positive and intentional parent-school relationship with Lovett families.
• Work cohesively with the other division heads and the Director of Enrollment Management to provide a seamless educational experience for all students throughout the school, with specific attention to the transition from 5th to 6th grade.
• Ensures that the Lower School curriculum demonstrates clear learning outcomes, the intentional progression of skills and competencies across grade levels, and bears the hallmarks of Lovett’s whole child education.
• Function as the chief articulator of the division’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed.
• Invests in the shared work of school leadership team members to ensure consistency of expectations of growth and accountability for employees.
• Supervises, develops, and evaluates LS leadership team and ensures these same accountability measures are cascaded through departments and grade levels.
• Responsibly manages the resources of the division.
• Be a visible presence at the school in all venues where the students and faculty are actively engaged.
• Supports and guides decisions regarding issues of student accountability and wellness.
• Partner with Assistant Head of Lower School and Directors of Teaching and Learning in hiring Lower School faculty and staff.
• Designs action steps that fulfill strategic initiatives as they relate to the Lower School.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Head of School and Associate Head of School.
NOTE: The Lovett School employment process includes a post-offer drug (hair) test and background check. See the employment application for more information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, and talk or hear. The position requires frequent typing, at times for long periods of the day. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Contact name: Chelle Wabrek
Contact email address: https://www.thefinneysearchgroup.com/lovett-hls-application