High School Assistant Principal
School: The Howard School
Available Position: Administrator
Assistant Principal of the High School
The Assistant Principal of the High School will assist in the planning, development, organization, coordination, and supervision of instructional programs
at the Howard School. Under the direction of the High School Principal, the Assistant Principal serves as an educational leader to carry out the mission of the
Principal of the High School
The is a full-time, 12-month benefit-eligible position beginning on August 1, 2024. Candidates should have 5+ years of experience teaching high school students, a bachelor’s and advanced degree in a related field, and have experience teaching students with learning differences. The Assistant Principal works in partnership with
the Principal and acts as administrator-in-charge of the division in the absence of the Principal. A successful candidate will demonstrate knowledge of current
research around teaching and learning, specifically in the area of learning differences. In addition, the candidate will have an understanding of the
developmental needs of high school students, be committed to the School’s mission, and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills. In
collaboration with the High School Principal, the Assistant Principal is responsible forthe smooth operation of the division, supporting the high school faculty and their goals.
The Howard School empowers students with language-based learning differences by addressing individual needs and leveraging strengths to develop a lifelong
understanding of and advocacy for their own learning process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Assists in the planning, development, organization, coordination, and supervision of instructional programs and activities.
● Assists in providing leadership to the professional staff in determining objectives and identifying school needs as the basis for developing long and short-range plans for the school.
● Assists the principal in the overall administration of the school and assumes leadership of the school in the absence of the principal.
● Maintains a commitment to ongoing growth in self and others, supporting and participating in professional growth programs.
● Relates to students with mutual respect while carrying out a positive and effective discipline policy.
● Supports classroom observations and the School’s evaluation process, especially with faculty new to the Howard School.
● Collaborates with the Principal on faculty staffing for the division and plans for the future educational needs of the high school division.
● Enhances the School’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
● Willingness to teach 1 - 2 classes in the high school.
● Performs other related duties as assigned by the Principal in accordance with school/division policies and practices.
● Be an enthusiastic leader and supportive guide for the High School faculty.
● Stay current with best practices in teaching, including incorporating technology, differentiating instruction, and progressive pedagogy.
● Be an active member of the Howard School faculty and wider school community.
● Have the mindset and ability to work in partnership with faculty.
● Proficient communication skills, both written and verbal, decision-making skills, and leadership skills.
● Excellent classroom management skills.
● Ability to develop and establish the division goals and objectives and the planning of the School’s instructional program.
● Provides direction to faculty for goal implementation and assisting in faculty development.
● Communicates and carries out established policies, delegates and accepts responsibility for completion of tasks, and communicates program goals, objectives, and policies to the high school faculty and staff.
● Bachelor’s degree and teaching certification required, Master’s degree in education or educational leadership preferred.
● 5 + years of High School teaching or SLP experience.
● 3 + years of administrative leadership experience in a school setting.
● Demonstrated success as a school teacher and administrator/department head who can motivate teams and guide others.
The Howard School is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The School is committed to providing
equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees
without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, age, pregnancy, disability/handicap,
genetic information, uniform service member status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Contact name: Emily Kleiber
Contact email address: email@example.com