Assistant Teacher – Fall 2022
School: The Howard School
Available Position: Teacher
Multiple Assistant Teacher positions are available for Lower School, Middle School, and High School
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt, Instructional Staff
Reports To: Lead Teacher, Division Principal
School Profile: The Howard School educates students with language-based learning disabilities and learning differences through instruction designed to complement and address each student’s individual needs, and to help each student understand and advocate for his or her own learning process. The curriculum focuses on depth of understanding to make learning meaningful and therefore, maximize educational success.
Position Purpose: To support the Lead Teacher with work and activities inside and outside of the classroom, expanding opportunities for more individualized instruction and collaborative teaching. We seek an experienced educator to join an interdisciplinary team who is committed to collaboration, flexibility, humor, creativity, and best practices regarding student learning.
• Works with students in whole groups, small groups or individually during classroom learning experiences, as directed by Lead Teacher
Plans, executes, and revises instructional lessons in coordination with Lead Teacher
• Prepares for classroom learning experiences by organizing appropriate materials in coordination with Lead Teacher
• Monitors and/or maintains classroom guidelines, in coordination with Lead Teacher
• Supervises and assists students during carpool, breaks and lunch periods
• Escorts and/or accompanies students to P.E., art and music classes, or other special arrangements. Escorts and/or accompanies students to the nurse for medical attention as needed.
• Performs administrative/class related duties to support the classroom, including making copies, returning phone calls, etc.
• Schedules, confirms and arranges transportation for field experiences
Accompanies students on field experiences, which may include overnight trips
• Drives school vehicle
• Attends faculty and division meetings
• Leads class when teacher is absent and/or involved in collaborative planning or meetings
• Assists Lead Teacher and students with student-run conference preparation. Attends student-run conferences, and takes notes.
• Assists teachers during pre-planning and on teacher work days
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job
• Committed to designing and adapting instruction to meet a range of student learning needs and interests
• Committed to multidisciplinary instruction, encouraging students' creative expression, incorporating student interest and passions, and developing critical thinking
• Curious about the world of ideas across multiple disciplines, and excited to teach across different disciplines.
• Committed to and skilled in differentiation
• Highly collaborative and excited about generating curriculum and assessment ideas in a team setting
• Curious, creative, self-reflective, and willing to take initiative and run with new ideas
• Clear and engaging communicator with children and adults
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• At least one year of experience with children and/or adolescents required; experience in a classroom environment preferred
• Math and/or reading experience a plus.
• Computer skills including facility with Google Suite tools preferred.
• Ability to work with collegial teams
• Ideal candidates have the attributes of flexibility, humor, collaboration, creativity, and passion for emerging research and pedagogy
• Flexible teaching background and interest in teaching electives, coaching and/or advising clubs is a plus
To apply for this position, please review the full job description on the School website, and then submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Contact name: Claudia Ramos
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org