Middle School English Teacher (Kairos Learning Center)
School: St. Martin's Episcopal School
Available Position: Teacher
St. Martin’s Episcopal School seeks a culturally competent and responsive Kairos teacher for the 2023-2024 academic school year. The Kairos Learning Center (KLC) in the Middle School supports mission-appropriate students whose learning profile indicates the need for additional strategies in the areas of executive functioning and language-specific learning differences. KLC faculty duties in the Middle School include creating a classroom environment favorable to learning and personal growth of every student, establishing effective rapport with students, motivating students to develop skills attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for becoming a responsible citizen in accordance with each student’s ability, and establishing good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
• Orton-Gillingham training required
• 5+ years of classroom experience preferred
● Teaches 4 to 5 classes, and proctors extra support study hall for Kairos students
● Liaison with the grade level teaching team, working closely with classroom teachers to identify and employ strategies for each KLC student.
● Coordinate with classroom teachers about daily and long term assignments. Provide student support in breaking down long term projects into manageable tasks and monitor student progress.
● Regularly monitor student academic performance and communicate with the student, parents, and faculty to identify areas in need of improvement.
● Daily class time with small groups (6 or fewer) of students who are removed from modern languages instruction, during which time the KLC faculty explicitly teach executive functioning and language-specific skills as appropriate and apply those skills to current classwork, including grammar instruction and remediation as needed for support.
● Pre- and post- reading activities in support of classroom literature instruction, reading comprehension support, and writing instruction including pre-writing, editing, revision, and proofreading.
● Liaison with off-campus practitioners who may be involved in supporting particular students.
● After-school monitored study hall/homework time with KLC students, Monday-Thursday, 3:30-4:30 pm.
● Encourage students to take advantage of and help students coordinate extra help sessions with classroom teachers.
● Support increasing student self-advocacy, problem solving skills, and executive function skills.
● Communicate with family members about student progress and challenges and create individualized goals for student improvement and monitor student progress.
● Coordinate with the Director of Kairos, other Kairos faculty members, school counselor and MS principal.
● Demonstrates proficiency with technology and a willingness to integrate modern technology, media and other tools into classroom instruction.
● Communicates regularly and thoroughly by conducting parent conferences, updating the class web page, planning and attending special events, holding meetings, and through emails and telephone calls.
● Sponsors 1 to 2 School clubs or activities.
● Chaperones field trips, including local field trips, Fall and Spring overnight trips, and one Middle School dance.
● Shares in coverage of Middle School lunch and Middle School recess.
The above list of essential duties is not exhaustive. All employees are expected to support the mission and vision statements of St. Martin's Episcopal School and contribute to the overall life of the School. This includes adherence to SMES policies, including safety, and emergency procedures, as well as assisting the Principal in developing long-range plans, school philosophy, and goals.
St. Martin’s believes in life-long learning and offers teachers extraordinary opportunities for professional growth. Candidates should be professionals who embrace working in a highly collaborative and collegial environment and are comfortable incorporating the use of various technologies to support student learning.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with benefits.
How to Apply
Please visit www.stmartinschool.org/about/employment and click on the position that you are interested in for the link to the online application. No phone calls, please.
St. Martin’s Episcopal School, founded in 1959, is a coeducational day school serving students from 8 weeks old through 8th grade. For more information about the school, please visit our website at www.stmartinschool.org.
The School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, applicants are considered only on the basis of merit, qualifications and abilities. Employment decisions will be made without regard to race, color, gender, age, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Contact name: Ashley Richards
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org