Middle School Principal
School: St. Martin's Episcopal School
Available Position: Administrator
St. Martin’s Episcopal School seeks a culturally competent and responsive candidate to serve as a Middle School Principal. The Middle School Principal is responsible for all aspects of the Middle School program and is expected to work closely with stakeholders to forward the school’s mission and advocate for the Middle School in a way that enhances both the Middle School and the entire school community. The Middle School Principal is a key member of senior administration and will be involved in helping to formulate and execute the school’s strategic initiatives.
Leading with the spirit of collaboration, the Middle School Principal will:
- Meet with the Head of School on a regular basis
- Serve as a member of the APG (Administrative Planning Group), attending weekly meetings
- Coordinate with the Lower School Principal, Early Childhood Principal and Director of Enrollment Management and Director of the Kairos Learning Center concerning events, programs, activities and relevant issues.
- Supervise in a visible and supportive manner all division faculty, students, and all Middle School programs and activities including, but not limited to the following:
◦ Observing classes, games, practices, rehearsals, performances, etc.
◦ Cultivating the division’s tone, culture and climate
◦ Give frequent feedback to faculty and staff, both informally and formally.
◦ Overseeing Middle School teacher websites, assignments, on-line grades and report cards
◦ Conducting a formal annual evaluation of faculty and programming
◦ Coordinating hiring, onboarding, retention and termination of staff, alongside the Head of School and HR Director
◦ Arrange for repairs and maintenance in conjunction with MS Administrative Support
◦ Work closely with the Lower School and Early Childhood Principals to enhance cross divisional activities that promote Middle School leadership opportunities
◦ Plan and conduct divisional faculty meetings, monthly and as needed
◦ Monitor student conduct and behavior in coordination with the Dean of Students
◦ Oversee and coordinate Middle School curriculum and its development in coordination with the Department Chairs
◦ Assist with secondary school placement in coordination with the Director of High School Placement
◦ Supporting enrollment management by attending admission events, meeting with prospective students and parents, and serving on the Admission Committee
◦ Work closely with the School Counselor and Student Support Services to be sure that the needs of identified students are being met
◦ Oversee the Middle School budget and work closely with the Finance department on expense budgeting and forecasting
◦ Communicate with the Director of Finance and Operations any program, capital or facility request needs that need to be addressed
◦ Be an active member on school-wide committees
◦ Be available and visible at school functions
◦ Write for the newsletter and magazine when appropriate
◦ Create and distribute an online Middle School newsletter
Requirements and essential skills
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. 5 to 7 years of experience in school Administration and experience working with adolescents (ages 10-14) is strongly preferred.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Have open-door policy for students and faculty
- Listen respectfully to all people
- Understand the many nuances of working with Middle School students and parents
The position is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position reporting to the Head of School. The list of duties above is not exhaustive and could include others as assigned by the Head of School. The normal hours are Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 4:00pm. The Middle School principal will teach as appropriate. Teaching could consist of year-long class assignments or short-term assignments and/or co-teaching opportunities.
Founded in 1959, St. Martin’s Episcopal School is a coeducational day school in Atlanta, Georgia, serving approximately 640 students from infants through eighth grade. St. Martin’s is dedicated to providing a quality education of the whole person in a loving, Christian atmosphere which fosters lifelong learning. For more information about the School, please visit our website at www.stmartinschool.org.
St. Martin’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, applicants are considered only on the basis of merit, qualifications and abilities. Employment decisions will be made without regard to race, color, gender, age, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Contact name: Maria Madden
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org