Assistive Technology Specialist (Fall 2021)
School: The Howard School
Available Position: Teacher
This position will begin August 2021
FLSA Classification: Exempt, Instructional Staff
Reports To: Director of Language, Literacy & Assistive Technology
Position Overview: The Howard School recognizes and celebrates learner passions and strengths, while also addressing their disabilities and weaknesses, and believes that learners are neither defined nor limited by labels. Ideal candidates have the attributes of flexibility, humor, collaboration, creativity, and passion.
Position Purpose: This position is responsible for managing the Assistive Technology caseload, including student screening, record keeping, troubleshooting, and training of students, parents and teachers. The AT Specialist also leads small-group and classroom instruction in the use of assistive technology tools for reading, writing and notetaking.
• Ability to teach and delegate responsibility to students
• Ability to work independently and efficiently, exercising reasonable judgment, in a fast-paced, multi-task environment with minimal supervision
• Curious, creative, self-reflective, and willing to take initiative and run with new ideas
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and demonstrate problem-solving skills, while maintaining courtesy, professionalism, and a customer service attitude
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with students, parents, co-workers, and business contacts in a courteous and professional manner
• Highly collaborative and excited about generating curriculum and assessment ideas in a team setting
Essential Functions for Assistive Technology Specialist
• Determine AT Caseload through screening and assessment
• Assist in training students to use individualized assistive technology software programs
• Conduct one-on-one and/or group trainings for parents and faculty
• Meet with parents to discuss assessments, demonstrate software, and explain the use of assistive technology for academic support
• Support and/or Lead whole class lessons incorporating assistive technology (AT) for specific or general class instruction
• Collaborate with teachers on incorporating assistive technology in their lesson planning
• Coordinate with technology department in organizing and tracking AT hardware (including: laptops, laptop cases, iPads, chargers, headphones)
• Organize and keep up-to-date caseload check-sheets, scanned student loan agreements, student folders, QRI scores, and assessment documents
• Regularly check in with students on AT caseload for needs in regards to book downloads and software fluency
• Update and maintain parent email lists and assist in managing communications from parents, students, and faculty
• Support/Lead small or whole class reading groups
• Stay up-to-date on software/hardware updates and upgrades
• Attend conferences on newest AT advancements and strategies of utilization
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
Contact name: Claudia Ramos
Contact email address: email@example.com