Interim Middle School Theater Teacher
School: Atlanta International School
Available Position: Teacher
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Atlanta International School (AIS) is a preschool to grade 12 private, non-profit school with language immersion and International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. Our mission is simple - To develop courageous leaders who shape their world for the better. The core values that drive our school are:
• The joy of learning and purposeful effort.
• Mutual respect and understanding in an intentionally inclusive and intercultural community.
The Interim Theater teacher for Middle School is an 80% position for the 2020-21 school year that requires teaching IBMYP Theater classes with additional stipend opportunities within our after school Theatrical Productions Season. This position is an on-site opportunity and requires in-person instruction.
START DATE: Immediate
REPORTS TO: Director of the Arts
General AIS Faculty Responsibilities
• Teach IB MYP Theater classes to Middle School students;
o In the event of remote learning, all theater arts classes must be taught synchronously
• Have an understanding of differentiated and inquiry-based instruction.
• Have an interest in cultivating diversity, equity, and inclusion into an educational environment.
• Integrate technology into the curriculum and instruction;
• Maintain the MYP Theater Google classrooms;
• Submit unit & lesson plans;
• Regularly update the ManageBac grade book;
• Provide quick grading turnarounds for all students;
• Use behavior management systems that are effective with students;
• Provide a positive environment that encourages students to actively participate in their learning;
• Communicate with division heads, Director of the Arts, and advisors to discuss student progress;
• Model professional and ethical standards when interacting with students, parents, peers, and the community;
• Cultivate positive family partnerships.
• Participate fully in the life of the school which includes collaborating effectively and collegially with a teaching team, grade-level, and department;
• Engage regularly in formal ongoing professional development beyond school-based in-service;
• Support colleagues and the school by substituting for absent teachers (when needed);
• Participate in meetings, committees, and community gatherings;
• Know, understand, and uphold the mission, philosophy, and values of the school. All teachers contribute to the school mission and community with activities such as supporting student social-emotional learning, interest groups (clubs), social events, and grade-level trips.
• Teach 4 classes of Theater to Middle School students;
• Contribute to the development of the Theater program for Atlanta International School;
• Plan and implement a performing arts curriculum;
• Coordinate curricula with other department and grade level teachers;
• Be a consummate professional that strives to bring the highest quality Theater direction and instruction for Atlanta International School families.
• Participation in and attendance at all arts-based events including the Arts Showcase.
• Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Afterschool Opportunities Within Our Theatrical Productions
• Direct one production during the school year for Middle School;
• Assist with all Atlanta International School shows during the year, which could include Costumes, Sets, Props, Lights, Sound, Music, and Choreography;
• Oversee any additional personnel that is brought in to help with the productions.
• Bachelor’s in education, Theater, or related field preferred
• Minimum of 2-5 years of classroom teaching experience, preferably in teaching Theater to Middle School students
• Strong desire to teach students with language-based learning differences
• Knowledge of multi-sensory teaching methodologies
• Knowledge of Theater teaching methodologies
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
• Strong organization and time-management skills
• Desire to continue to develop professionally by learning new programs and methodologies
• High level of interest in inquiry-based instruction.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This role will require the incumbent to instruct pupils on-site at AIS
• The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for the job.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit in on meetings and work on a computer; and is occasionally required to walk, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, talk, and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
Atlanta International School is deeply committed to diversity among our staff and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this role, please send a resume, cover letter and and an example of student work that you are proud of with a link to the work (if possible) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘MS Theater Teacher’ as the subject heading.
We will contact those applicants whose skills and experience best match our needs. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we are not able to take or return phone calls regarding employment.
Contact name: Human Resources
Contact email address: email@example.com