Learning Support Coordinator, Primary School
School: Atlanta International School
Available Position: Teacher
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Atlanta International School (AIS) is a preschool to grade 12 private, non-profit school with language immersion and International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.
Our mission is simple - To develop courageous leaders who shape their world for the better. The core values that drive our school are:
• The joy of learning and purposeful effort.
• Mutual respect and understanding in an intentionally inclusive and intercultural community.
The Primary School Learning Support Coordinator works with students from 3K-Gr. 5 in either a push in or pull out setting, depending on the level of the students. We are an inclusive school and use the Response to Intervention (RTI) model. We mostly serve students with mild to moderate needs.
Please note that candidates for this role must already hold work authorization for the United States. AIS is unable to offer visa sponsorship at this time.
START DATE: August 2021
REPORTS TO: Head of Primary School
• Observing, Identifying and carrying out the Initial Assessment of Learning Differences
• Working one on one or with small groups of language learners, developing their skills (usually in literacy or math).
• Working with teachers to ensure they can implement successful learning strategies for the students in their class.
• Keep up to date records of communication and make entries in confidential files so support can be tracked and monitored.
• Communicating regularly with the families of children with whom they are working directly.
• Ensuring clear and timely communication between learning support teachers and families as well as with outside providers.
• Leads the Learning Support team, including EAL Teacher
• Chairs referral meetings and leads the early identification process
• Provides observation and consultation services to the Early Learning Center students
• Ensure the school recommends external support appropriately, in a timely manner and follows up on any recommendations
• Determines when in-house testing is needed and administers, scores and reports on assessments
• Use data to set learning support priorities and delegate resources appropriately
• Develops and adjusts the timetables for the members of the team to meet the needs of students
• Stays informed about the interventions and progress of all students receiving support
• Attends meetings that are likely to be contentious, in order to mediate
• Ensures the team keeps up to date records of communication and updates confidential files so support and progress can be tracked and monitored.
• Leads the handover process of Gr. 5 students to Secondary School
• In collaboration with the Principals and Head of Primary School, design and implement professional development for teachers in Tier One and Two interventions and accommodations to support all learning styles
• Appraisal/coaching members of the team or other faculty
• Ensure confidentiality personally, as well as in your team and handling of documentation.
• Standing meeting with Counselors and Principal to discuss students of concern
• Masters Degree in Special Education (or other relevant field) Preferred
• 3 years experience as a learning support teacher in a Primary School setting
• A strong literacy and/or math intervention background (Orton Gillingham,Wilson Language, Lindamood-Bell or similar training)
Atlanta International School is deeply committed to diversity among our staff and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this role, please send a resume and cover letter as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘Primary School Learning Support Coordinator’ as the subject heading.
We will contact those applicants whose skills and experience best match our needs. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we are not able to take or return phone calls regarding employment.
Contact name: Human Resources
Contact email address: email@example.com