Lower School Assistant Teacher (1st Grade)
School: Athens Academy
Available Position: Teacher
Athens Academy Lower School Assistant Teacher (1st Grade)
Athens Academy is a co-educational, non-sectarian, independent college preparatory day school of approximately 950 students in grades K3-12 that offers a traditional liberal arts curriculum and innovative approaches to teaching and learning. The school’s mission is to seek “excellence with honor in the educational and personal experience of each student.” Situated on a picturesque campus of 152 acres, Athens Academy admits students from diverse social, economic, religious, and racial backgrounds--all of whom benefit from a challenging academic program, a vibrant arts program, competitive athletics, and a variety of service opportunities. Athens Academy faculty and staff members are dedicated professionals who are not only experts in their respective fields of study, but are also sensitive to the gifts and challenges of individual students.
The Lower School:
Lower School students (grades 1-4) at Athens Academy acquire a solid foundation in language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies, while also learning about responsibility, collaboration, and self-expression. A science laboratory classroom with a specialist teacher, a media center with a story telling room, and a discovery center used for a variety of activities all support classroom instruction. Spanish, music, art, drama, and physical education classes are also woven into the fabric of the curriculum. Building upon traits developed as early as the Preschool, Lower School students are proud to uphold the concepts of mutual respect and kindness, as indicated by the “Kind Language Spoken Here” signs throughout the campus. The Lower School is composed of 250 students supported by approximately 30 teachers, assistant teachers, and instructional support staff.
Athens Academy seeks a dynamic and nurturing Lower School assistant teacher, beginning in August 2020. This is a part-time teaching position that requires a compassionate, flexible, creative, and energetic individual to work closely with students, teachers, parents, and administrators to support the mission of the school by promoting excellence with honor in the educational and personal experience of each child.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher.
• A genuine interest in working with this age group and engaging with them in meaningful ways.
The school will accept materials from interested candidates until the position is filled.
A completed packet will include the following components:
• Cover letter expressing interest in Athens Academy and this position
• Resume or curriculum vitae
• Names of three references and contact information
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their materials to:
Mark Cunningham, Lower School Director
1281 Spartan Lane
Athens, GA 30606
Several years ago, the faculty created the following list to describe the desired traits of Athens Academy faculty and administrators. It is included in the spirit of providing some additional insight into what we value as a community of learners.
• Commitment to the school’s mission
• Passion and ability to meet the needs of each student, instructionally and emotionally—students are our highest priority and all we do/every decision we make is with their well-being in mind
• Knowledge of subject matter taught
• Knowledge of instructional methods being used and potential for introducing/supporting new instructional methods, including incorporating technological advances
• Professionalism in interactions with parents, students, colleagues, and the community
• Ability to lead and ability to work in a team
• Commitment to continuous professional improvement
• Positivity and effectiveness as a communicator
• Passion for subject matter taught
• Focus on family and community
• Participation in the life of the school beyond the classroom
• Advocacy for individual students
Thank you for your interest in Athens Academy.
Athens Academy is an equal opportunity employer and educational institution. In hiring, the school will select the best-qualified applicant without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, handicap, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Contact name: Mark Cunningham
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org