Lower School Maker, Design, and Engineering Instructor
School: The Mount Vernon School
Available Position: Teacher
Founded in 1972, The Mount Vernon School is a leading private school of inquiry, innovation, and impact. Grounded in Christian values, we prepare all students to be college ready, globally competitive, and engaged citizen leaders.
We are seeking an innovative educator for the position of Lower School Maker, Design, and Engineering Teacher, a Kindergarten through grade 5 program placing students at the center of solution-driven design. This dynamic, forward-thinking professional would join an outstanding Lower School team for the 2020-2021 school year.
As a member of the Lower School Team at Mount Vernon, this individual will model what it means to be inquisitive, nurturing, flexible, and creative. This candidate will be involved in areas of the School beyond the classroom walls and is responsible for fulfilling all responsibilities in accordance with the mission and philosophy of the School.
As a school whose mission statement calls out inquiry, innovation, and impact, our vision, strategic plan, and norms center around empowering students to ask questions, to challenge the norm, and to design a better world. We seek a transdisciplinary facilitator with a background in inquiry-based learning, design thinking, and the maker movement to work closely with the Lower School and Preschool teams to continue to build strong student experiences.
- Empower Lower School students to become designers of their own learning and lead innovators in the community
- Forge partnerships and relationships with community members so that student learners can position themselves to creatively solve real-world problems
- Operate as a test kitchen for our newest, boldest ideas for doing school differently
- Engage with complex, transdisciplinary problems and provide students with opportunities to follow their passions, interests, and curiosities
- Facilitate design thinking experiences and advanced inquiry-based learning in Lower School Maker, Design, and Engineering classes
- Partner with classroom teachers to help them discover how the use of the Studio(i) Makerspace can enhance their current lessons and the opportunities for students to engage in inquiry and showcase their work using higher-resolution products
- Build a cohesive program with Lower School learning outcomes and curriculum maps in maker, design, and engineering for Kindergarten-Grade 5 learners
- Collaborate and align learning outcomes and student experiences with the Middle School and Upper School Directors of Maker, Design, and Engineering and Innovation Diploma Program leaders
- Contribute to professional learning training opportunities for Lower School faculty in small and whole-group settings
- Foster an environment of intentional collaboration among all stakeholders- students, faculty, and families
- Participate in the assessment and feedback progress reporting for portfolio and project work
- Create differentiated lessons to match the needs of students in the classroom
- Effectively communicate with families pertaining to a child’s progress and needs as well as general information about the program (through phone calls, newsletters, conferences, and progress reports)
- Proactively search out and participate in professional growth opportunities
- Demonstrate a high level of competency in multiple Mount Vernon Mindsets (Creative Thinker, Solution Seeker, Ethical Decision-Maker, Innovator, Collaborator, Communicator)
- Maintain the Studio (i) Makerspace, tools & equipment, and budget for ordering supplies
- Report directly to the Head of Lower Campus
- Masters degree preferred
- 3+ years of teaching experience preferred
- Proficiency with maker, design, and engineering-related technological tools and platforms
- Experience with coding, 3D modeling, robotics, circuitry and programming, digital media, engineering, design, and fabrication
- Have knowledge or demonstrable willingness to create using diverse materials like wood, cardboard, styrofoam, paper mache, metal, programming, etc.
- Life experience in maker, design, and engineering preferred, either through employment or personal projects
The faculty and staff of The Mount Vernon School believe the fair and equitable treatment of employees is critical to fulfilling its mission and purpose. It is the policy of The Mount Vernon School is to conduct business and provide equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, age, gender, religion, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Contact email address: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/333706