Assistant Teacher – High School
School: The Howard School
Available Position: Teacher
Assistant Teacher (Hourly, non-exempt)
To support the Lead Teacher with work and activities inside and outside of the classroom, expanding opportunities for more individualized instruction and collaborative teaching.
● Committed to designing and adapting instruction to meet a range of student learning needs and interests
● Committed to multidisciplinary instruction, encouraging students' creative expression, incorporating student interest and passions, and developing critical thinking
● Curious about the world of ideas across multiple disciplines, and excited to teach across different disciplines.
● Committed to and skilled in differentiation
● Highly collaborative and excited about generating curriculum and assessment ideas in a team setting
● Curious, creative, self-reflective, and willing to take initiative and run with new ideas
● Clear and engaging communicator with children and adults
● Works with students in whole groups, small groups or individually during classroom learning experiences, as directed by Lead Teacher
● Supervises and assists students during carpool, breaks and lunch periods
● Escorts and/or accompanies students to P.E., art and music classes, or other special arrangements
● Performs administrative/class related duties to support the classroom, including making copies, returning phone calls, etc.
● Prepares for classroom learning experiences by organizing appropriate materials as directed by Lead Teacher
● Escorts and/or accompanies students to the office for medical attention
● Schedules, confirms and arranges transportation for field experiences
● Accompanies students on field experiences, which may include overnight trips
● Drives school vehicle (optional but preferred)
● Monitors and/or maintains classroom guidelines, as directed by Lead Teacher
● Escorts and/or accompanies students, per procedures, during emergency situations
● Attends faculty meetings and POD meeting, as directed by Lead Teacher and/or Principals
● Leads class when teacher is absent and/or involved in collaborative planning or meetings
● Assists Lead Teacher and students with student-run conference preparation
● Assists teachers during pre-planning and on teacher work days
● Attends conferences or supervises students during conferences
● Any other tasks as assigned by the Lead Teacher and/or Principal and her/his designee
● Performs other duties as assigned
● May drive the school bus
● Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● At least one year of experience with children and/or adolescents required; experience in a classroom environment in a supporting role preferred
● Math and/or reading experience a plus.
● Basic computer skills (typing, Microsoft Word and Internet) helpful.
● Ability to work with collegial teams.
● Flexible teaching background and interest in teaching electives, coaching and/or advising clubs is a plus
Contact name: Claudia Ramos
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org