Middle School Spanish Teacher
School: Athens Academy
Available Position: Teacher
Athens Academy Middle School Spanish Teacher
Athens Academy is a co-educational, non-sectarian, independent college preparatory day school of approximately 935 students in grades K3-12 that offers a traditional liberal arts curriculum and innovative approaches to teaching and learning. The school’s mission is to seek “excellence with honor in the educational and personal experience of each student.” Situated on a picturesque campus of 154 acres, Athens Academy admits students from diverse social, economic, religious, and racial backgrounds--all of whom benefit from a challenging academic program, a vibrant arts program, competitive athletics, and a variety of service opportunities. Athens Academy faculty and staff members are dedicated professionals who are not only experts in their respective fields of study, but are also sensitive to the gifts and challenges of individual students.
Recognizing that Middle School students are in a rapid mental, emotional, and physical growth stage of life, Athens Academy emphasizes responsibility, creativity, independent thinking, personal values, and service to others. Middle School students (grades 5-8), begin to master broader and more rigorous aspects of learning that include written expression, vocabulary, problem-solving, research, scientific investigation, and teamwork. An emphasis on critical and creative thinking runs throughout the curriculum. Opportunities for public speaking, performing, publication, and athletic competition complement the challenging academic program.
Athens Academy seeks a dynamic, creative, and versatile full-time Middle School Spanish teacher, beginning in the 2020-21 school year. Essential characteristics include: love of children, energy, optimism, ability to work with others, and knowledge of Spanish. We are looking for someone who is excited to become a part of our community and who enjoys and understands the middle-school learner. The ideal candidate will convey a love of learning and instill in our students a curiosity about our world and the desire to communicate in the target language. Assignments will include Spanish instruction in grades six, seven, and eight while also working to support the Middle School team with activities ranging from carpool duty to involvement in learning team meetings. While not required, coaching and/or club sponsorship experience is always an asset in a busy independent school community.
The school will accept materials from interested candidates until the position is filled.
A complete packet will include the following components:
• Cover letter expressing interest in Athens Academy and this position
• Statement of educational philosophy, including thoughts on opportunities for teaching and learning in today’s educational environment
• Resume or curriculum vitae
• Names of three references and contact information
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their materials to:
Julie Brown, Middle School Assistant
P.O. Box 6548
Athens, GA 30604
Several years ago, the faculty created the following list to describe the desired traits of Athens Academy faculty and administrators. It is included in the spirit of providing some additional insight into what we value as a community of learners.
• Commitment to the school’s mission
• Passion and ability to meet the needs of each student, instructionally and emotionally—students are our highest priority and all we do/every decision we make is with their well-being in mind
• Knowledge of subject matter taught
• Knowledge of instructional methods being used and potential for introducing/supporting new instructional methods, including incorporating technological advances
• Professionalism in interactions with parents, students, colleagues, and the community
• Ability to lead and ability to work in a team
• Commitment to continuous professional improvement
• Positivity and effectiveness as a communicator
• Passion for subject matter taught
• Focus on family and community
• Participation in the life of the school beyond the classroom
• Advocacy for individual students
Thank you for your interest in Athens Academy.
Athens Academy is an equal opportunity employer and educational institution. In hiring, the school will select the best-qualified applicant without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Contact name: Julie Brown
Contact email address: email@example.com