School: Athens Academy
Available Position: Teacher
Athens Academy Preschool Teacher
Athens Academy is a co-educational, non-sectarian, independent college preparatory day school of approximately 950 students in grades K3-12 that offers a traditional liberal arts curriculum and innovative approaches to teaching and learning. The school’s mission is to seek “excellence with honor in the educational and personal experience of each student.” Situated on a picturesque campus of 152 acres, Athens Academy admits students from diverse social, economic, religious, and racial backgrounds--all of whom benefit from a challenging academic program, a vibrant arts program, competitive athletics, and a variety of service opportunities. Athens Academy faculty and staff members are dedicated professionals who are not only experts in their respective fields of study, but are also sensitive to the gifts and challenges of individual students.
Athens Academy’s goal of nurturing secure, successful, well-adjusted, and happy students while challenging them to grow academically begins in the Preschool (half-day program in grades K3, K4, and Pre-first). The Preschool curriculum blends skill building, motor development, and creative activities, as well as free play. Benefiting from activities-based learning, children learn the foundations of reading, writing, and mathematics. Activities are carefully tailored to individual interests, abilities, and development. Preschool students at Athens Academy also benefit from hands-on activities in discovery centers, outdoor gardens, art rooms, music rooms, a dedicated media center, and a spacious playground, all in a state-of-the-art facility which opened in 2011. The Preschool is composed of approximately 100 students and 22 teachers, assistant teachers, and instructional support staff.
Athens Academy seeks a dynamic, excited, and nurturing Preschool teacher, beginning in August 2020. This is a part-time teaching position with the opportunity for full-time status with the addition of Stay and Play responsibilities. The position requires a compassionate, flexible, creative, and energetic individual to work closely with students, teachers, parents, and administrators to support the mission of the school by promoting excellence with honor in the educational and personal experience of each child.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher is required; early childhood education (preferred).
• Three or more years of experience working with children at the preschool level (preferred).
• A genuine interest in working with this age group and engaging with them in meaningful ways.
The school will accept materials from interested candidates until Friday, March 20, 2020.
A completed packet will include the following components:
• Cover letter expressing interest in Athens Academy and this position
• Statement of educational philosophy, including thoughts on opportunities for teaching and learning in today’s educational environment
• Resume or curriculum vitae
• Names of three references and contact information
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their materials to:
Colleen Burwell, Preschool Director
1281 Spartan Lane
Athens, GA 30606
Several years ago, the faculty created the following list to describe the desired traits of Athens Academy faculty and administrators. It is included in the spirit of providing some additional insight into what we value as a community of learners.
• Commitment to the school’s mission
• Passion and ability to meet the needs of each student, instructionally and emotionally—students are our highest priority and all we do/every decision we make is with their well-being in mind
• Knowledge of subject matter taught
• Knowledge of instructional methods being used and potential for introducing/supporting new instructional methods, including incorporating technological advances
• Professionalism in interactions with parents, students, colleagues, and the community
• Ability to lead and ability to work in a team
• Commitment to continuous professional improvement
• Positivity and effectiveness as a communicator
• Passion for subject matter taught
• Focus on family and community
• Participation in the life of the school beyond the classroom
• Advocacy for individual students
Thank you for your interest in Athens Academy.
Athens Academy is an equal opportunity employer and educational institution. In hiring, the school will select the best-qualified applicant without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, handicap, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Contact name: Colleen Burwell
Contact email address: email@example.com