Upper School Latin/History Teacher
School: Athens Academy
Available Position: Teacher
Athens Academy Upper School Latin/History Teacher (Full-Time)
Athens Academy is a co-educational, non-sectarian, independent college preparatory day school of approximately 950 students in grades K3-12 that offers a traditional liberal arts curriculum and innovative approaches to teaching and learning. The school’s mission is to seek “excellence with honor in the educational and personal experience of each student.” Situated on a picturesque campus of 152 acres, Athens Academy admits students from diverse social, economic, religious, and racial backgrounds--all of whom benefit from a challenging academic program, a vibrant arts program, competitive athletics, and a variety of service opportunities. Athens Academy faculty and staff members are dedicated professionals who are not only experts in their respective fields of study, but are also sensitive to the gifts and challenges of individual students.
Athens Academy’s Upper School is committed to providing the kind of high-quality education that prepares students to lead successful and productive lives not only in their future academic pursuits in colleges and universities across the nation, but also in their adult lives. The curricular structure challenges each individual, while our diverse extra-curricular offerings provide students the opportunity to be involved in activities in which they are interested. Talented and tireless teachers enable us to produce young men and women capable of handling the 21st century demands and challenges they will inevitably face.
Athens Academy seeks a versatile, creative, and collaborative educator to teach approximately two sections of Upper School Latin and two sections of Upper School History/Humanities, beginning in the 2020-21 school year. In addition to being an exceptional teacher, the ideal candidate must be supportive, organized, and able to communicate effectively with students, parents, colleagues, and administrators. Preferably, candidates will have a record of demonstrated success in teaching and a commitment to supporting students and teachers in all areas of school life.
The school will accept materials from interested candidates until the position is filled. A completed packet will include the following components:
• Cover letter expressing interest in Athens Academy and this position
• Statement of educational philosophy, including thoughts on opportunities for teaching and learning in today’s educational environment
• Resume or curriculum vitae
• Names of three references and contact information
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their materials to:
Heather McRae, World Languages Department Chair
1281 Spartan Lane
Athens, GA 30606
Several years ago, the faculty created the following list to describe the desired traits of Athens Academy faculty and administrators. It is included in the spirit of providing some additional insight into what we value as a community of learners.
• Commitment to the school’s mission
• Passion and ability to meet the needs of each student, instructionally and emotionally—students are our highest priority and all we do/every decision we make is with their well-being in mind
• Knowledge of subject matter taught
• Knowledge of instructional methods being used and potential for introducing/supporting new instructional methods, including incorporating technological advances
• Professionalism in interactions with parents, students, colleagues, and the community
• Ability to lead and ability to work in a team
• Commitment to continuous professional improvement
• Positivity and effectiveness as a communicator
• Passion for subject matter taught
• Focus on family and community
• Participation in the life of the school beyond the classroom
• Advocacy for individual students
Thank you for your interest in Athens Academy.
Athens Academy is an equal opportunity employer and educational institution. In hiring, the school will select the best-qualified applicant without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, handicap, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Contact name: Heather McRae
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org